Smartphones have become our daily companions and support us in almost any situation of our daily life. We use them for communication, gaming, news reading, watching movies, payment, mobile banking and many others. From the perspective of ‘Internet of Things’, smartphones are becoming increasingly important because they can be used as hubs between the physical things and Internet. The kind of apps we install and use are closely linked to our interest, habits and personality. We constantly install, update, or delete apps on our devices to match our personal needs – thus making this data stream valuable for reality-mining. Custom-tailored content like recommendations, advertisement, personalized prices and search results can be presented to clients, based on observed apps on their devices. The method is used today by big IT companies like ‘Twitter’ in order to offer personalized tweets to their users.
The research project focus on Business-to-Consumer (B2C) in retail industry. The described method seems to have a great potential for mass personalization on mobile devices. We built a prototype for Android phones and conducted several user experiments. The goal is to investigate and enable new business and marketing opportunities in e-commerce.
Get in touch!
- Remo Frey, email@example.com
- Runhua Xu, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Frey, R.M., Xu, R., Ammendola, C., Moling, O., Giglio, G., Ilic, A. Mobile recommendations based on interest prediction from consumer’s installed apps – Insights from a large-scale field study. Information Systems 71 (2017) 152–163, Elsevier, 2017.
- Frey, R.M., Xu, R., Ilic, A. Mobile App Adoption in Different Life Stages: An Empirical Analysis. Pervasive and Mobile Computing 40 (2017) 512–527, Elsevier, 2017.
- Runhua Xu, Remo M. Frey, Elgar Fleisch, Alexander Ilic. Understanding the Impact of Personality Traits on Mobile App Adoption – Insights from a Large-Scale Field Study. Computers in Human Behavior, Elsevier, 2016.
- Remo M. Frey, Runhua Xu, Alexander Ilic. A Lightweight User Tracking Method for App Providers. ACM International Conference on Computing Frontiers, Como, Italy, 2016.
- Runhua Xu, Remo M. Frey, Alexander Ilic. Individual Differences and Mobile Service Adoption: An Empirical Analysis. IEEE BigDataService2016, Oxford, UK, 2016.
- Remo M. Frey, Runhua Xu, Alexander Ilic. A Novel Recommender System in IoT. International Conference on the Internet of Things (IoT), Seoul, South Korea, 2015.
- Remo M. Frey, Runhua Xu, Alexander Ilic. Reality-Mining with Smartphones: Detecting and Predicting Life Events based on App Installation Behavior. International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Fort Worth, United States, 2015.
- Runhua Xu, Remo M. Frey, Denis Vuckovac, Alexander Ilic. Towards Understanding The Impact of Personality Traits on Mobile App Adoption – A Scalable Approach. 23rd European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS), Münster, Germany, 2015.